At The Archbishop Lanfranc Academy, one of our aims is to ensure our Year 7 students have a successful transition from Year 6 into Year 7. At the Academy, we understand that transition from primary into secondary school can be a difficult time for our students and parents. To support this process, we have put together a transition programme which helps support those involved.
The plan includes:
- Open Evening – This gives students and parents the opportunity to visit the Academy and ask questions to all subject teachers.
- Visits to Primary School – Our transition specialist and SENCO visit a number of our feeder schools to meet with students and year 6 teachers.
- Academy Days – We invite local primary schools into the Academy to meet our staff, experience different subjects and get to know the building and surroundings.
- Lanfranc Leaders – We take our leaders out to the local primary schools to run sporting and language events.
- Parents Meeting – This is an opportunity for parents of our students to come and meet the Principal and other key members of staff. This is also when enrolment paperwork should be completed and provides an opportunity to order uniform.
- Induction Day – Year 6 students get the opportunity to come into the Academy and spend time meeting their tutor, head of year and other subject teachers.
- Tutor phone calls – We encourage our tutor teams to make contact with parents within the first half term to introduce themselves and answer any questions.
- Year 7 Residential – We encourage all our year 7 students to attend the residential within the first term. This allows them to build new friendships and develop positive relationships with the staff at the Academy.